Home > Veterans > Apply for benefits

Apply for benefits

Before you can use your GI Bill® benefits at the University of Minnesota, we may require documents from you. The application to start using your GI Bill® or change the benefit to your University of Minnesota campus should be completed on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs’ website. We do not recommend applying via paper application. Processing time for the paper application may be delayed by more than two months. Veteran, service members, and dependents can apply for benefits on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs' website.

If you are a new student, use the chart below to help identify which documents we need based on your benefit.

DD214 NOBE Application COE Enrollment Certificate VA form 1905 (from counselor)
Chapter 33, Post 9/11 X 22-1990 or 22-1995 or 22-1990E X X
Chapter 1606, Select Reserve X 22-1990 or 22-1995 X X
Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance 22-5490 or 22-5495 X X
Chapter 30, Active Duty X 22-1990 or 22-1995 X X
Chapter 31, Vocational Rehab X

Please note, the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) must be submitted as proof of your eligibility to request veterans benefits. Please submit this letter to request your enrollment certification be sent to VA. Failure to provide this could create delays in GI Bill payments and other benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Important Dates

Billing & Payment

Mon, Aug 10, 2020 Third billing statement for summer available (due date: 8/23/20)
Sun, Aug 23, 2020 Summer payment due in full
Sat, Sep 5, 2020 First billing statement for fall available (due date: 9/18/20)