Work-study and student employment

Information on student employment at the University of Minnesota is available from the University’s Office of Human Resources:

If you have further questions about student employment, email us at [email protected].


Work-study is a form of financial aid that is available to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for work-study. Work-study is included in your Financial Aid Offer.

Note: Work-study is not guaranteed; you must first apply for a position, be offered the position, and accept the position.

Work-study funds do not disburse to your student account. You must obtain a work-study job at the University to receive work-study funds. You receive your work-study through your work-study job in the form of a paycheck distributed every two weeks.

You may be offered work-study if you:

  • Qualify for need-based aid, which is determined by your FAFSA results
  • Are enrolled at least half-time

If you are a graduate or professional school student, you will be offered work-study upon request if you have need-based eligibility and will be enrolled at least half-time. Any undergraduate, graduate, or professional school student who has earned work-study in prior years will continue to be offered work-study as long as you meet necessary criteria.

If you are interested in a work-study position, but were not granted work-study in your Financial Aid Offer, contact One Stop Student Services.

If you plan on working at the University, you must complete an I-9 form by providing documentation that proves your identity and your eligibility to work. A list of acceptable documents is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website. Photocopies of official documents will not be accepted.