Add or remove a graduate minor

If you are on GPAS and your program allows a minor, you may submit a request to add or remove a minor with the Graduate Minor Request form (UMN login required). Minors must be declared prior to the final examination (master's students) or prior to the preliminary oral examination (doctoral students). If a minor is declared, at least one examination committee member must represent the minor. Please check with your program before adding a minor.

Once this form is submitted, it will be routed for processing. You'll receive a notification to your University email account when processing is complete.

Please do not submit duplicate requests. If you have questions about completing this form, contact the UMD Graduate Office (M Ed, MEEd, MEHS, MPS, M Eng, MTAG, MTRES) or Graduate Student Services and Progress (all other programs).

Officially declare a minor

After this request form has been processed, your planned minor coursework will need to be reviewed and approved by the minor program. Please consult your graduate program for instructions on how to proceed.


If you began your graduate program before fall 2022, you are not eligible to use this form. Please consult your graduate program for further instructions if you receive the following message:

“Your program is not currently using this form to add a minor or you do not have active status in a graduate program.”