Drop a class

Check the academic calendar for information about refunds, when permission is needed, and if a “W” will appear on your transcript. If no approvals are required and you are confident that making the change is necessary, you may drop your class through MyU: Academics.

If you would like to replace a class with another, swapping classes may be more appropriate.

Drop a class considerations

Expand all

Effect on financial aid

Undergraduates must maintain a minimum current registration of 6 credits (half-time status) to qualify for federal loans. Some federal, state, and University financial aid programs require full-time status. The effect on your financial aid will depend on when you withdraw and the type of aid you receive. You may be required to return all or a portion of financial aid disbursed to you.

Consult with a One Stop counselor before you withdraw to determine the impact, if any, on your financial aid, tuition, and/or fees.

Alternate option to withdrawing

As an alternate option, if you have already completed a substantial portion of the work for a class, you may work with your instructor to get an "I" (incomplete) in a course and complete the work at a later date. More information on this option

How to drop a class

Text instructions

  1. Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
  2. Click the Registration sub-tab.
  3. Click the Register button.
  4. Select the Drop tab.
  5. Select the appropriate term and click the Continue button.
  6. Check the box next to the class you would like to drop, and then click the Drop Selected Classes button.
  7. Confirm the classes you want to drop, and then click the Finish Dropping button.
  8. View your results. A green checkmark indicates the drop was successful.

Visual guide

To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.