Use the resources below to help you search for classes.
- Schedule Builder - Use Schedule Builder to help you find and plan your class schedule for a semester.
- University of Minnesota catalogs - The University's catalogs of programs and courses.
- Graduation planner tool - A degree-progress tool that can help you explore major/minor requirements, discover courses to take and when to take them, and make a plan to help you stay on track for graduation.
Public Class Search - The University of Minnesota's public class search tool.
- For general public textbook information use Search by Course.
- Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
- In the My Classes sub-tab, click on the Class Search link under the Planning section.
- Enter your search criteria. You must enter your institution (campus), term, and at least two additional criteria.
- You can search for a subject by clicking the Select Subject button or entering letters in the Subject field.
- To see only classes that are open, check Show Open Classes Only.
- Enter in Additional Search Criteria for more search options.
- When you are ready, click the Search button.
- View your search results.
- Click the class number to see more details about the class (e.g., number of seats available, prerequisites, or course description).
- View the class details.
- To return to the results, click the View Search Results button. Do not click back in your browser.
- To add the class to your shopping cart, click Select Class.
- Choose your enrollment options (e.g., grading basis), and then click the Next button.
- The class is now in your shopping cart, but you are not yet registered. To register, you will need to click the Enroll tab.
- To continue searching for classes, click the New Search or Modify Search buttons. Do not click back in your browser.
To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.
Class delivery formats
There are four ways classes are taught. Instructors and departments will communicate further details directly to students enrolled in the class.
Students and instructors meet in person at regularly scheduled days and times.
100% of instruction is online with set class and face-to-face instructor meeting times using remote instruction technology. Instructors will provide both verbal and/or written communication for class requirements and expectations. The entire class, including exams, is online. You may have seen this referred to as “synchronous” delivery.
100% of instruction is online without set class or instructor meeting times. Class materials and assignments are accessible online at any time. Instructors will provide written communication for all class requirements and expectations. The entire class, including exams, is online. You may have seen this referred to as “asynchronous” delivery.
Specific details for each class will be provided by the instructor.
Students can expect one of three variations of “blended” based upon how faculty believe the class is best conducted.
- Class has set and required student meeting times for all classes. Instruction is in person at UMD, online, and face-to-face (F2F). Online classes will use remote instruction technology at set class times. Instructors will provide in person, verbal, and/or written communication for class requirements and expectations. Exams may be both in person at UMD and online.
- Instruction is in-person at UMD and online. The online requirements do not have set class times. Online materials and assignments are accessible at any time. Instructors will provide in person, verbal and/or written communication for class requirements and expectations. Exams may be both in person at UMD and online. Exams are the same for both groups, progression of material is the same for both, etc.
- Class meeting times will vary. Face-to-face (F2F), in person at UMD and/or remote class times will have variation in student attendance as communicated by the instructor. Instructors will provide in person, verbal, and/or written communication for class requirements and expectations. Exams may be both in person at UMD and online.