State tuition reimbursement

Members of a state's National Guard may be eligible for state education benefits, like the State Tuition Reimbursement (STR).

The University of Minnesota does not process State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) requests, nor is the Veterans Resource Center able to answer specific questions. Your State Tuition Reimbursement requests are approved and processed through your National Guard Unit. Contact your unit’s representative for additional information.

Expand all

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement

To receive your Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) check after you have completed the term, you must:

Request reimbursement through your Minnesota National Guard Unit, and 
Submit copies of your grade(s) and tuition/fee statement to your Unit's full-time representative.
You should receive your reimbursement check within 30 days. If you fail to obligate funds in this way, you may be required to wait until June 30, the end of the fiscal year, to receive your tuition reimbursement check.

To find state eligibility requirements and reimbursement rates, visit the Minnesota National Guard website.

University requirements

STR is a reimbursement program. This means that if you are using STR, you must pay your University of Minnesota bill according to standard payment timelines or be assessed late fees. The Veterans Resource Center is not able to prevent or delay these fees. A hold that prevents registration changes, bookstore purchases and transcripts will be placed on your student account if a bill is not paid by the due date. 

Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant

Your application must be submitted to the WI Department of Military Affairs no later than 90 days after the term ends. University Veteran Services recommends that you submit the application to our office no later than the end of finals week for the term you are requesting reimbursement for. University Veterans Services will complete our end of the application after your grades are posted for the term.