Registration rules

Before you register for a class, please consider the following registration rules, which includes University policies, different types of registration, wait lists, and enrollment status based on credit load. We encourage you to talk with your academic advisor if you have any questions regarding registration.

Expand all

Course prerequisites and registration holds

In order to enroll in some courses, you must either complete or concurrently register for certain other courses, possess particular qualifications, or have the appropriate class standing. These requirements are known as course prerequisites. To see the prerequisites, you must select the class number or the course section and view the course description in MyU’s Class Search.

In addition to prerequisites, you will not be allowed to register for classes if you have a registration hold placed on your account.

First day of class attendance policy

You must attend the first class meeting of every course in which you are registered unless you obtain approval for your intended absence before the first meeting. Without this prior approval you may lose your place in class to another student. If the first day falls during a recognized religious holiday, it does not require instructor approval, but the instructor must be notified in advance. More information can be found within the Instructor and Student Responsibilities policy.

Excused absences policy

You are expected to attend all scheduled class meetings. It is your responsibility to plan your schedule to avoid excessive conflict with course requirements. However, there are circumstances that lead to excused student absence from the classroom. For more information, see the Excused Absences policy.

Repeating a course

Current University policy (section F) states that students may repeat a course only one time (excluding course withdrawals). The registration system will not allow students to enroll in a course for a third time. If you were considering taking a course for a third time, consult with your success coach or academic advisor to explore other options.

Extra credit

Many colleges permit extra credit (EXC sections) in their regular courses. Through EXC registration, you can earn extra credits (with a limit of 3) in a class by arranging with the instructor to complete additional work or explore a subject in more depth. This type of registration requires instructor and department approval.

Wait lists

If you would like to register for a class that is full, a class may have a wait list that you can join to automatically enroll if a seat becomes empty. Automatic processes to swap or future swap classes are available while you register for classes.

Independent study

Most colleges permit independent (or “directed”) study (IND sections) in their regular courses. Through IND registration, you can complete a course by studying independently under the instructor's guidance without attending class. This type of registration requires instructor and department approval. 

Auditing courses

Most faculty permit auditing in their courses. However, if a course is only set up for an A-F grading basis, then it can’t be audited. As an auditor, you enroll in, pay tuition and fees for, and attend classes but do not complete assignments or take examinations. You receive no credit for the class, but the class will be placed on your transcript with the symbol “V” (visitor) to indicate your special registration status. For further information, check with your academic advisor.

Credit hours & enrollment status

The University determines your enrollment based on how many credits you take each semester. For more information about enrollment definitions, see full-time credits.

Maximum semester credits (term overload)

No undergraduate student may enroll for more than 20 credits per semester without college approval (15 for summer term). If you would like to enroll for over 20 credits, complete the Term Overload form. Some colleges or programs may set a minimum credit limit. For more information, check with your college advisor.

Dual-career registration

If you are admitted to a graduate career (master’s, PhD, or certificate), or an academic degree or certificate program in an Academic Health Center professional career, you may register in more than one career (or as non-degree) during the same term. For more information, see dual-career registration.