Scholarships are considered “gift aid”—a type of financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Funds are awarded to individual students and are often based on specific criteria, such as your major, GPA, financial need, etc.

Common scholarship sources

Many students receive scholarships from outside sources, such as hometown organizations, civic organizations, churches, and other local donors, or from businesses and corporations.

When you complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), any scholarships that you receive will be considered when calculating your financial aid award.

Graduate students will be given the opportunity to report scholarships online when responding to your financial aid offer through MyU.

Receiving a scholarship may affect the amount of other financial aid you are eligible to receive. Find additional scholarship resources below.

Additional scholarship resources

Expand all

How scholarships affect financial aid

University scholarship awards disburse in accordance with the University's financial aid award policy. Consistent with University policy, the total annual aid amount awarded to a student, including all scholarships and grants, cannot exceed cost of attendance at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Financial aid awards (e.g., loans, work study, scholarships, or grants) may be reduced for students whose total aid exceeds the cost of their program for the academic year, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

When you receive a scholarship, your existing financial aid awards will be reviewed and adjustments may be made based on the receipt of your scholarship(s). You may see a reduction in other types of aid, such as loans, work-study, or institutional aid.

The University of Minnesota Duluth will allow you to receive the maximum benefits of any scholarships within the US Department of Education guidelines.

Many scholarships require full-time enrollment. Information on eligibility for financial aid is available.

Information on submitting outside scholarship checks

If you receive any scholarship from organizations outside of the University of Minnesota Duluth (e.g.: a local community organization, church, etc.), it is your responsibility to forward the check(s) to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for processing. You must endorse any check that is made payable to you and the University of Minnesota Duluth before submitting it.

When submitting scholarship checks, please make sure the following information is included for each check:

  • Your full legal name 
  • Your University ID number. If your University ID number is not available, please include your home address or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • Scholarship donor's name, address, and phone number
  • Letter from donor with any scholarship stipulations. If the full scholarship is intended for a particular term, please include it on the donor's letter or the memo section of the check (e.g. "Fall only," "Check 1/2"...).

In person

Submit all scholarship checks you receive to a One Stop counselor, so the funds can be deposited into your University student account. If the donor sends the check directly to the University made out to you, you must visit One Stop in person to endorse it.

By mail

If your scholarship provider will be sending the check directly to the University (best practice), please have it sent with the information cited above to:

University of Minnesota Duluth
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
1049 University Drive 
Duluth, MN 55812-3011

Scholarships through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships 2024-25 online application is closed. The 2025-26 online scholarship application will be available mid-January 2025 through April 1, 2025. 
  • The Laverne Noyes 2024-25 online scholarship application is now closed. The 2025-26 online scholarship application will be available mid-January 2025 through July 1, 2025.
    Note: To be eligible for this scholarship you must be a US citizen who is a direct descendant of an American Army or Navy veteran of World War I whose service was terminated by death or an honorable discharge.

Collegiate scholarships

University departments select recipients of their departmental scholarships according to their own process. For more information on eligibility requirements and application procedures, click on the link below for your departmental scholarships page.

Scholarship search resources

Requests for your financial aid information

With your permission, the University of Minnesota is able to share information from your financial aid data or Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with scholarship-granting organizations or tribal organizations. You must have provided written permission for the information to be shared.

To enable the University to share your information do one or both of the following: