Grading policies

The University of Minnesota Duluth has grading policies on academic standing, distinction and honors degrees, grading and transcripts, mid-term grade alerts, and satisfactory/non-satisfactory grading.

Receiving an Incomplete ("I")

According to University policy, an incomplete "will be assigned at the discretion of the instructor when, due to extraordinary circumstances (as determined by the instructor), the student who has successfully completed a substantial portion of the course's work with a passing grade was prevented from completing the work of the course on time." Incompletes will appear on your transcript as an 'I.'

Incompletes require a contract

If an instructor agrees to give you an incomplete, you will need to initiate the Incomplete Grade Contract. When you submit a contract, the listed instructor will receive an automated email with a link to the contract form. The contract specifies what work you will complete and the completion date. The period of time allowed by the contract may not be longer than one year.

For undergraduates, Incompletes will lapse to an 'F' or 'N.'

After one year from the last day of final exams of the term you received the 'I,' it will automatically change to an 'F' or 'N,' depending on your grade basis.

With the permission of the instructor, the incomplete can be extended for one additional year even after it has lapsed to an 'F' or 'N'.

For graduate and professional students

For graduate and professional students, an 'I' remains on the transcript until changed by the instructor or department.

Grading policy

For more about incompletes, when they may be granted, and exceptions to the general guidelines listed above, read section C of the University's Grading and Transcripts policy. Additional information is available in the transcript key.

Graduate students

If you are a student enrolled in the Graduate School, all registrations and grades for repeated courses remain on your graduate transcript and are calculated into your cumulative GPA. Remember that appropriate tuition and fees will be assessed for any courses that you repeat.