Reciprocity programs

The University has reciprocity agreements with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and the province of Manitoba, Canada.

If you are a resident of any of these states or province, you may qualify for reciprocity tuition rates, which are lower than nonresident tuition rates and comparable to resident rates. Differences in reciprocity agreements exist depending on whether you are an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student. Review the Residency and Reciprocity Handbook to learn more.

Some exceptions are:

  • If you are participating in off-campus study, study abroad or multi-institutional study at another UM campus for an academic year or more, you must re-apply for reciprocity.
  • If summer session is your first registration at the University, you need to reapply for the next academic year.
  • Non-degree students and certificate programs.

Tuition reciprocity is not automatic. You must apply for reciprocity prior to the term in which you plan to register. You need to apply for reciprocity through the higher education office in your state or province. For information and application forms, check with your home state's reciprocity office below:

You will receive an approval letter from your home state when your reciprocity application has been approved. The University is notified by your home state when your reciprocity agreement has been approved. However, if your billing statement does not reflect your reciprocity tuition, bring your approval letter to a One Stop Student Services Center.

After your first year, provided that you have earned credits on campus, your reciprocity automatically renews. Delays in your reciprocity eligibility will not exempt you from additional billing charges.

Reciprocity rates

If you are a student from North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, or Manitoba, you are charged the resident tuition rate; some exceptions apply if you are a graduate or professional student. Review the Residency and Reciprocity Handbook to learn more about your eligibility.

Reciprocity Q&A