Follow the steps below if you:
- Plan to leave the University of Minnesota Duluth for 1 semester or longer
- Plan to leave the University without a definite plan to return
- Plan to leave the University because you're transferring to another institution
You do not need to follow the steps below if you are leaving for a study abroad or National Student Exchange program.
If you do not register for classes for at least two consecutive semesters, you will be placed on inactive status. After being placed on inactive status, there is a process by which you can return to the University and become active again. For more information view the Leave of Absence and Readmission for Undergraduates policy.
- Complete the anonymous U Matter Exit Survey.
- Contact your academic adviser and/or college to determine your best next steps.
- Taking incomplete(s) and finishing your course work at a later time may be a better option than withdrawing.
- There may be other college or department requirements to complete before leaving.
- Student-Athletes notify the athletic advisor and the Athletic department of your change in UMD status.
- Graduate students contact the Graduate School.
- Pharmacy students contact the Office of Student Services, 218-726-6003.
- Medical students contact the Student Affairs Office, 218-726-8873.
- Veterans contact University Veterans Services if you are receiving veterans' educational benefits.
- International students contact the Office of International Student Services. Maintaining legal status is essential for all of our students whose primary citizenship is outside of the United States.
- Contact One Stop Student Services for financial aid assistance.
- You may be required to pay back all or part of your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans. If you are transferring to another institution, you may need to first cancel your UMD financial aid in order to be awarded financial aid elsewhere.
- Complete exit counseling.
- Update your address and phone number.
- Change your HOME and MAILING addresses in MyU > MyInfo.
- International students: Do not change your MAILING address to an address outside the United States.
- Cancel your class(es).
- Cancel or drop your enrolled or wait-listed classes to avoid punitive grades (F, N).
- Cancel any registrations for future terms.
- Review UMD withdrawal and grading and transcript policies.
- Know your financial liability for tuition and fees. Consider the UMD drop/add and refund deadlines. Deadlines vary by the length of the class.
- Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records.
- Pay your student account charges.
- You will not be able to request an official transcript if there are past due charges on your account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action.
- Cancel your housing contract.
- Live on campus, contact the UMD Housing and Residence Life office at 218-726-8178.
- Rent off campus, contact your landlord to discuss your options.
- Return UMD property.
- Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking hangtags, keycards, etc., must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.
- If transferring from UMD to a Minnesota state college or university:
- Request an official transcript.
- Student health insurance
- You may no longer be covered by student health insurance once you withdraw from school.
- Contact your private insurer to notify them of a change in student status.
- Contact a Boynton insurance representative at 612-624-0627 to determine your status. This office will help you regardless of which campus you attend.
- Employed by UMD
- If you have a UMD job, graduate assistantship, or fellowship, inform your supervisor or department.
- Plan to return to UMD
- New or incoming, degree-seeking students deferring your start term should notify UMD Admissions to change your status.
- Current or returning degree-seeking UMD students should notify your Advising and Academic Services college office and complete the Readmission/return from leave of absence application for UMD.
- Guest/non-degree-seeking students should complete the application for non-degree/guest students.
- Post Secondary Enrollment Program (PSEO) students should contact the UMD PSEO Program coordinator for advising.
- College in the Schools (CITS) students contact your high school instructor and/or guidance counselor.
- Cross-registration agreement with UWS or CSS UMD students should apply using the electronic cross registration form. UWS and CSS students, contact your university’s Registrars’ Office.
If you are a grad student and plan to leave the University for a time, contact the Graduate School Office.