Leave of absence or withdraw

Follow the steps below if you:

  • Plan to leave the University of Minnesota Duluth for 1 semester or longer
  • Plan to leave the University without a definite plan to return
  • Plan to leave the University because you're transferring to another institution

You do not need to follow the steps below if you are leaving for a study abroad or National Student Exchange program.

If you do not register for classes for at least two consecutive semesters, you will be placed on inactive status. After being placed on inactive status, there is a process by which you can return to the University and become active again. For more information view the Leave of Absence and Readmission for Undergraduates policy.

Undergraduate students

Printable Undergraduate checklist

  • Complete the anonymous U Matter Exit Survey.
  • Contact your academic adviser and/or college to determine your best next steps.
    • Taking incomplete(s) and finishing your course work at a later time may be a better option than withdrawing.
    • There may be other college or department requirements to complete before leaving.
    • Student-Athletes notify the athletic advisor and the Athletic department of your change in UMD status.
    • Graduate students contact the Graduate School.
    • Pharmacy students contact the Office of Student Services, 218-726-6003.
    • Medical students contact the Student Affairs Office, 218-726-8873.
    • Veterans contact University Veteran Services if you are receiving veterans' educational benefits.
    • International students contact the Office of International Student Services. Maintaining legal status is essential for all of our students whose primary citizenship is outside of the United States.
  • Contact One Stop Student Services for financial aid assistance.
    • You may be required to pay back all or part of your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans. If you are transferring to another institution, you may need to first cancel your UMD financial aid in order to be awarded financial aid elsewhere.
  • Complete exit counseling.
    • Exit counseling is required by federal regulations for students who received Federal Direct Stafford, SELF, Perkins, and University Trust loans. If you received any or all of these, contact Student Financial Services to set up your online appointment.
  • Update your address and phone number.
    • Change your HOME and MAILING addresses in MyU > MyInfo.
    • International students: Do not change your MAILING address to an address outside the United States. 
  • Cancel your class(es).
  • Pay your student account charges.
    • You will not be able to request an official transcript if there are past due charges on your account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action.
  • Cancel your housing contract. 
    • Live on campus, contact the UMD Housing and Residence Life office at 218-726-8178.
    • Rent off campus, contact your landlord to discuss your options.
  • Return UMD property.
    • Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking hangtags, keycards, etc., must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.
  • If transferring from UMD to a Minnesota state college or university:
  • Request an official transcript.
    • View your grades and keep a copy of your official transcript for easy access to your records.
    • Transferring schools will require an official UMN transcript for the new school. Use the online request form to request your University of Minnesota transcript.
  • Student health insurance
    • You may no longer be covered by student health insurance once you withdraw from school.
    • Contact your private insurer to notify them of a change in student status.
    • Contact a Boynton insurance representative at 612-624-0627 to determine your status. This office will help you regardless of which campus you attend.
  • Employed by UMD
    • If you have a UMD job, graduate assistantship, or fellowship, inform your supervisor or department.
  • Plan to return to UMD

Graduate students

If you are a grad student and plan to leave the University for a time, contact the Graduate School Office.