Student complaints and grievances

The University of Minnesota Duluth takes student complaints and grievances seriously and has processes in place to ensure that complaints are addressed appropriately and in a timely manner.

Have you tried to resolve the conflict directly?

A first step for resolving most conflicts is at the local level, between the parties involved, and in some cases with an appropriate third party (another faculty member, department head, program director, residence hall staff, or other administrator).

Was direct resolution unsuccessful? Or is direct resolution not appropriate?

If direct contact with the other party does not resolve the situation, or if it would make you uncomfortable or would be inappropriate (for example, a bullying or sexual harassment complaint), you can seek assistance through various channels depending on the nature of your complaint (see descriptions below).

Channels for complaints and grievances

Curriculum and academic advising complaints

Grades and evaluation of student work

Students are entitled to timely feedback on assigned work, exams, and grades. Always speak with the instructor of your course, first, about your grade. If you are not able to get an explanation for the grade from your instructor, consult the department head of the department in which the course is offered. If the instructor is the department head, consult the associate dean of the collegiate unit housing that department.

Quality of instruction

A successful course is a shared responsibility between the instructor and students. Student concerns regarding the quality of instruction should be directed to the appropriate department head of the department in which the course is offered. If the instructor is the department head, consult the associate dean of the collegiate unit housing that department.

Academic advising

Student concerns about academic advising from both faculty and professional advisors should be directed to the associate dean of the collegiate unit in which the advisor works.

Academic complaints

Academic units manage academic complaints, which are defined by the Board of Regents Policy: Conflict Resolution Process for Student Academic Complaints as complaints brought by students regarding the University’s provision of education and academic services affecting their role as students. Academic complaints must be based on a University rule, policy, or established practice claimed to be violated. Under this policy, student academic complaints do not include student complaints regarding grades and other evaluation of student work, University employment, University admission decisions, or disciplinary action under Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code.

The Student Academic Complaint Resolution procedure outlines the process of both informal and formal resolution of complaints that fall within the scope of this policy.

Discrimination, harassment, or sexual violence complaints (includes all Title IX complaints)

The Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office (EOT) serves as the impartial office that addresses concerns about discrimination or harassment based on a protected identity, sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, relationship violence, retaliation related to such claims, and potential violations of the policy against nepotism. To report a complaint about the conduct of a faculty or staff member involving any of these forms of misconduct, or to report a complaint about student sexual misconduct, please contact the UMD Equal Opportunity Associate at [email protected] or (218) 726-8809. To report a complaint about non-sexual student misconduct, please contact OSCCR at [email protected], (218) 726-7255, or use OSCCR's online reporting form. Anonymous complaints related to any of these forms of misconduct may also be made by reporting through UReport and will be routed to the appropriate office.

One Stop Student Services complaints

If you have any concerns or complaints about information or services received through One Stop Student Services, please contact One Stop Student Services at [email protected] or 218-726-8000.

Residence hall complaints

If you have any concerns or complaints about your on-campus housing experiences, please contact Housing and Residence Life at [email protected] or 218-726-6123.

Employment-related complaints

UMD Human Resources (HR) addresses all employment conflicts. Consultations are confidential (subject to very limited exceptions). For concerns related to your student job at UMD, contact HR at [email protected] or (218) 726-7161. Anonymous complaints may also be made by reporting through UReport.

Transportation and parking complaints

If you have a concern or a complaint related to the administration, operation, or maintenance of reliable and efficient transportation services including campus parking, DTA, Bulldog CarShare, Bike-to-Campus, Safewalk, electric vehicle charging, accessible scooters, walkways, or way-finding, please contact Transportation and Parking Services at [email protected] or 218-726-7433.

Safety and security concerns

If you are concerned about any aspect of campus safety, contact the University of Minnesota Duluth Police Department at [email protected] or 218-726-7000. In case of emergency, dial 9-1-1.

Student conduct and conflict resolution

The Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) supports students in assuming self and social responsibility in times of conflict by offering formal mediation services. Trained mediators provide a​ ​neutral and confidential setting where it is possible for​ ​students to:
- Share their concerns​ ​with one another,
- Be heard, and
- Come to a workable solution that​ ​they choose.
The mediation process is available for students who are facing conflicts including, but not limited to where they live, with other students in a classroom, on a team, or within a student organization. OSCCR mediators have received training that meets the requirements for a Qualified Neutral under Minnesota Supreme Court Rule 114 and take continuing education each year to remain active as mediators with​ ​UMD. Contact OSSCR at [email protected] or (218) 726-7255.

Other complaints

If you do not know which of the resources is best for your situation, you may file a complaint using this online form or you may contact the Office of Student Life for confidential assistance and advice with any University-related complaint.