Home > International transfer credit

International transfer credit

Transferring international credit to UMD

If you have international academic documents, make appropriate arrangements to provide:

  • Official transcripts received directly from the institution at which the credit was earned.
  • Official credential evaluations for international coursework are only accepted directly from the service provider (i.e., ECE, WES). Credential evaluations submitted in person by the student are unofficial. Official documents are required.
  • Official English language translations of your postsecondary academic records.

New international transfer students who enroll at UMD will be awarded a $200.00 International Transfer Student grant to help offset the cost of obtaining official documents.

Planning to transfer international credit to UMD

  • Visit the UMD Study Abroad Office to review your international experience options.
  • Confirm that your desired program is offered by an accredited institution. Complete the Request for international program review. The UMD Office of the Registrar will research the institution and/or program, and will provide information to guide your decision.
  • Budget accordingly, you will be responsible for requesting a number of official documents to support the transfer of international credit.  These costs are not included in the $600 Study Abroad processing fee. The UMD Office of the Registrar will provide guidance on these items based on your individual situation.

International Document Matrix

Required documents Used for Recommended timing Exceptions
Official transcripts with final grades Annotating your academic record and transferring Upon final marks/grades received from the international institution(s) No exceptions
Official credential evaluation Ensures equitable determination of US academic credit equivalency Upon final marks/grades received from the international institution(s) Waived for institutions with an active UMD articulation agreement
Official English translations of documents English is the official language of instruction and records at the University of Minnesota Upon final marks/grades received from the international institution(s) No exceptions
Course descriptions Transfer credit decisions by UMD faculty As soon as possible No exceptions, seek information from the institution of instruction

Documents must be sent to:

Office of the Registrar
University of Minnesota Duluth
139 Darland Administration Building
1049 University Drive
Duluth, Minnesota 55812

Via email: umdreg@d.umn.edu

Credential evaluations

UMD accepts credential evaluations completed by providers affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

We recommend the following credential evaluation providers:

  • ECE (Education Credential Evaluators)
  • WES (World Education Services)

Always request a course-by-course evaluation be sent to: umdreg@d.umn.edu
It is best to request evaluation after all your grades are final.

Conversion of international credit


The University of Minnesota Duluth converts all coursework grades from institutions not authorized by the U.S. Department of Education to reflect the U.S. and/or University of Minnesota Duluth equivalency or a general transfer grade (T).

Transfer credit at UMD is calculated into your UMD overall grade point average (GPA) but is not calculated into your cumulative University of Minnesota GPA.

Grades of "D-", "F," or "No Pass" or the equivalent, do not transfer.


The University of Minnesota converts international credit to reflect the US benchmark of 15 semester credits or 30 credits per academic year.

International credit is not converted based on content but rather as an exchange which will equal one US year for one international year. Active UMD articulation agreements may establish differing credit conversion factors.

Important Dates