Take a class as non-degree/guest student
If you want to enroll in a class for credit, but are not officially admitted into a degree program at the University of Minnesota, you may enroll as a guest student.
Before you apply
- Search for classes to explore available options.
- To apply for a certificate program, submit a certificate application.
- If it has been two or more terms since you last registered as a guest student, you will need to reactivate your student status. Complete and return the Request for Readmission form.
The guest student application collects information and establishes your UMN academic record. Your record can be set up as either undergraduate or graduate.
- The availability of credit to be used in future graduate school programs is impacted by course level. Course level also impacts tuition and fees. If you take a course for graduate-level credit as a non-degree, guest student, you will pay the normal graduate tuition rate for all your courses in the term.
- Semester courses will have four digit numbers. The first number designates the course level (undergraduate 1XXX-4XXX; graduate 5XXX-9XXX).
- To change credit types from undergraduate to graduate, you will need to re-apply.
If you need further assistance, contact One Stop Student Services, email@example.com.
Complete the following steps to apply
1. Complete the online application.
2. Confirmation will be sent to you via email by the UMD Office of the Registrar within three business days.
3. Initiate your UMN account after you receive confirmation and your UMN ID.
- Your UMN account gives you access to University online systems, including University email and the MyU portal, where you will register for classes, see your grades, and pay your bill.
- Note: You do not need to complete this step if your UMN account is active.
4. Register for classes in MyU portal
- To enroll in a class, you will use a three-step process in the MyU "Shopping Cart." The Shopping Cart is how you will manage your class selection and registration.
- Guest students register during open registration.
As a Guest student, you will be charged per-credit. You will view and pay your bill through MyU portal. For more information review the how to guide: Make a payment on your student account.
- Tuition and fees must be paid in full on or before the first semester billing due date. If your account is not paid, you will be dropped from classes.
- Be aware of important dates and deadlines and fees.
- UMD does not send paper bills. Billing notifications will be sent to your UMN email and available in your MyU portal.
Federal or state financial aid is typically not available for guest students.
If you are required to complete prerequisite courses before admission to an undergraduate, graduate, or professional program, you may be eligible for Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans.
- Contact One Stop Student Services and complete a Petition to Reinstate Financial Aid Eligibility form to apply for federal financial aid.
If you need further assistance, contact One Stop Student Services.
|Fri, Oct 12, 2018||First half semester, last day of classes|
|Mon, Oct 15, 2018||Second half semester classes begin|
|Sat, Dec 1, 2018||Spring 2019 undergraduate admission application deadline for new freshman and transfer students|
|Mon, Sep 17, 2018||First half and full semester, last day to drop a class with a 50% refund, grade of "W" recorded|
|Fri, Sep 21, 2018||First half semester, last day to drop a class without a petition, 0% refund, grade of W recorded|
|Mon, Sep 24, 2018||Full semester, last day to drop a class with a 25% refund, no approval required, end of refund period, grade of "W" recorded|