Take a class as non-degree/guest student
If you want to enroll in a class for credit, but are not officially admitted into a degree program at the University of Minnesota, you may enroll as a non-degree-seeking/guest student.
- Complete the online application.
To apply for a certificate program, submit a certificate application.
- Select either graduate or undergraduate at the time of initial application.
Note: To change credit types from undergraduate to graduate after you apply, you will need to re-apply. Contact the Office for Students in Transition (SIT) for advising.
Graduate-level: If you take a course for graduate-level credit as a non-degree, guest student, you will pay the normal graduate tuition rate for all your courses in the term.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been processed.
If it has been two or more terms since you last registered as a non-degree student, you will need to reactivate your non-degree status. Complete and return the Request for Re-enrollment form.
Register for classes
As a non-degree/guest student you are eligible to register during open enrollment.
- Summer term: registration begins the first Monday in March
- Fall term: registration begins in April
- Spring term: registration begins in November
If your initial registration for a term occurs on or after the first day of the term, be aware that you will be assessed a late registration fee. Learn more about how to prepare and register for classes.
|Fri, Jun 2, 2017||Last day of May session classes|
|Mon, Jun 5, 2017||Summer Regular & 1st Half session 2017 begin|
|Mon, Aug 28, 2017||Fall 2017 semester begins|