State Tuition Reimbursement
The University of Minnesota does not process State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) requests, nor is the Veterans Resource Center able to answer specific questions. Your State Tuition Reimbursement requests are approved and processed through your National Guard Unit. Contact your unit’s representative for additional information.
To receive your Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) check after you have completed the term, you must:
- Request reimbursement through your Minnesota National Guard Unit, and
- Submit copies of your grade(s) and tuition/fee statement to your Unit's full-time representative.
You should receive your reimbursement check within 30 days. If you fail to obligate funds in this way, you may be required to wait until June 30, the end of the fiscal year, to receive your tuition reimbursement check.
Undergraduate student Minnesota STR rates are:
- Undergraduate reimbursement rate is up to 100% of the undergraduate rate of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus with a maximum yearly benefit of $17,000 per fiscal year (01 July through 30 June).
Gradute student Minnesota STR rates are:
- The Graduate reimbursement rate is up to 100% of the graduate rate of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus with a maximum yearly benefit of $36,000 per fiscal year (01 July through 30 June).
- You must be a member of the Minnesota National Guard.
- You are eligible for STR for classes that you attend AT AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE after completion of basic training.
- You must remain in the Minnesota National Guard during the entire term of courses.
- E1 to O5, including Warrant Officers are eligible for STR. The lifetime maximum STR benefit is 208 quarter or 144 Semester credits.
- STR has been extended to servicemembers who have satisfactorily completed their service contract in the Minnesota National Guard who served honorably in federal active service or federally funded state active service since September 11, 2001.
- Eligibility is extended for a period of two years, plus the amount of time equal to the duration of that person's active service.
- STR has been extended to servicemembers who have been separated or discharged from that organization due to a service-connected injury, disease, or disability.
- Eligibility period is extended for eight years beyond the date of separation.
STR is a reimbursement program. This means that if you are using STR, you must pay your University of Minnesota bill according to standard payment timelines or be assessed late fees. The Veterans Resource Center is not able to prevent or delay these fees. A hold that prevents registration changes, bookstore purchases and transcripts will be placed on your student account if a bill is not paid by the due date.
Your application must be submitted to the WI Department of Military Affairs no later than 90 days after the term ends. University Veteran Services recommends that you submit the application to our office no later than the end of finals week for the term you are requesting reimbursement for. University Veterans Services will complete our end of the application after your grades are posted for the term.
Billing & Payment
|Sun, Jul 22, 2018||Summer tuition and fees due date #2|
|Wed, Aug 22, 2018||Summer tuition and fees due date #3|
|Tue, Sep 4, 2018||First billing statement for fall available|