Home > Academics > Transfer credit

Transfer credit

The University of Minnesota accepts transfer coursework from other schools that are regionally accredited. Learn more about the process and follow the instructions below to transfer your credits.

Step 1: Send official transcripts to University of Minnesota Duluth.

  • Mail to UMD Admissions Processing, 123 DAdB, 1049 University Drive, Duluth, MN 55812-3011
  • Email umdadmis@d.umn.edu.

Step 2: Transfer courses will be reviewed by UMD faculty.

Step 3: A Transfer Course Evaluation report will be available via Academic Program Audit System (APAS). To view the report and make an academic plan:

  1. Log into APAS.
  2. Generate a "What-If" APAS report.
  3. Select Duluth campus as collegiate unit type and transfer course evaluation and generate report.

Step 4: If you need help, contact One Stop.

Use the Transferology tool to see how your courses may transfer to UMD. You can find information on course equivalencies and program requirements. You can also request a campus visit, or get more information about advising, admissions, financial aid, and veterans services.

The University follows a semester calendar. If you have quarter credits from another US school, they will be converted to semester credits. We multiply the number of incoming quarter credits by ⅔ (.6667). For example, 30 quarter credits are equal to 20 semester credits. Read more about UMD’s transfer policies.

Associate of arts degree

If you are transferring to UMD with an associate of arts (AA) degree, you have fulfilled the U of M’s liberal education requirement. However, individual courses from your transfer institution used to complete the AA are not always directly transferred as equivalent UMD courses.

When transferring with an AA degree, the completion of that degree must be noted on your official transcript from the degree-awarding school.

Test credits

Read the policies about using tests for credit.

Military transfer credit

If you have served in the military, you may submit official transcripts detailing military coursework and occupations for potential transfer toward the award of University of Minnesota academic credit. Experiential based knowledge may need additional portfolio documentation or students may have to earn credit through the UMD Credit by Examination process. At the time of application, request your transcript(s) be sent to UMD Admissions.

Experiential credit

To request credit award for life experiences, work experiences, or portfolio work, please contact the Office of the Registrar at umdreg@d.umn.edu, or call 218-726-8887.

MN Transfer Curriculum

If you transfer to UMD from another Minnesota state college or university, and have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), you have fulfilled the U of M’s liberal education requirements. However, know that individual courses from your transfer institution used to complete the MnTC are not always directly transferred as equivalent UMD courses.

The MnTC can also be completed at UMD and posted to your U of M transcript. (Note that the McTC competencies differ from the UMD liberal education categories.) If you completed the MnTC at a different U of M campus, you do not need to transfer your credits.

If you are an international student, make appropriate arrangements to provide official English language translations of your secondary and postsecondary academic records. Transfer credit evaluations from international colleges and universities are accepted directly from external credit evaluation services only. You may not submit credit evaluations on your own behalf.

If you have attended a postsecondary college or university outside the US, submit transcripts from all postsecondary schools to one of our preferred evaluation services. UMD accepts evaluations completed by other reviewers other than those listed below only if they are affiliated with National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Preferred External Reviewers:

Always request a course-by-course evaluation be sent to: umdreg@d.umn.edu. Any grades not finalized will not appear on your transcript, and therefore not be evaluated. It is best to request evaluation after all your grades are final.

International transfer students who enroll at UMD will be awarded a $200.00 International Transfer Student Grant to offset the cost of obtaining official documents from external credential reviewers.

Important Dates


Fri, Dec 9, 2016 Last day of fall semester classes
Mon, Dec 12, 2016 Final exams for fall semester (thru 12/16/16)
Wed, Jan 11, 2017 Spring semester 2017 begins