Home > Veterans > Study Abroad

Study abroad

If you are using Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits, there are specific requirements related to billing and study abroad. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will only pay educational fees for a study abroad program if you are required to study abroad as part of that program. The VA will never pay for airfare, travel, or boarding costs. There are very few programs at the University of Minnesota that require you to study abroad.

If you want to study abroad, but it is not required by your program, your GI Bill® benefits will pay up to the equivalent cost of taking those courses on campus. 

For example, if you have 100% eligibility under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® the VA will pay 100% of your tuition and fees here on campus. That number is typically around $7000 for undergraduate students. If your study abroad program costs $10,000, the VA will pay $7000 towards that program along with standard BAH and book stipend payments based on your rate and length of enrollment.

All other GI Bill® recipients can be certified for study abroad courses taken through the University.

For more information, please review this fact sheet.

For questions on using your benefits for study abroad, contact us.

Important Dates

Billing & Payment

Mon, Apr 6, 2020 Spring payment due in full (or third payment if enrolled in payment plan)
Fri, Apr 24, 2020 Fourth billing statement for spring available (new charges and past-due balances only, due date: 5/7/20)
Sun, Apr 26, 2020 Summer term tuition and fees available in MyU/My Finances