Home > Finances > Minimum undergraduate credits

Minimum undergraduate credits for financial aid

Most financial aid awards require that you enroll in a minimum number of credits in order to receive the award. Keep in mind that the minimum number of credits varies depending on the type of award.

Your enrollment is reviewed approximately ten days prior to the start of the term. Your financial aid awards will be prorated (if necessary) based on the number of credits you’re enrolled in on that date. This ensures your financial aid is disbursed to your student account as quickly as possible.

Your enrollment will be reviewed for the final time each term on the last date to add full semester classes without approval. If you have enrolled in any additional credits, you may be eligible for additional aid. If you have dropped any classes, you may lose eligibility for financial aid, and would then be billed for any aid you’ve already received. Classes added after the final review may not make you eligible for additional financial aid. Consult with One Stop to determine if classes added after the drop/add period can be included when determining your eligibility for aid.

Credit requirements by award

The amount listed on your Financial Aid Award Notice is based on the assumption that you will be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester. If you take fewer than 12 credits in a semester, your Federal Pell Grant will be prorated based on the number of credits you enroll in.

  • Full time: 12+ credits

  • 3/4 time: 9 – 11 credits

  • Half time: 6 – 8 credits

  • Less than half time: 1 – 5 credits

You must register for at least 15 credits each semester in order to receive your full Minnesota State Grant award. You will receive a prorated portion of your grant if you register for fewer than 15 credits in a semester. You must register for at least three credits to receive any portion of your Minnesota State Grant. If you add or drop credits during the first two weeks of class, your Minnesota State Grant amount will be adjusted. 

Work-study requires you to enroll in 6 or more credits each semester.

Students must be enrolled in summer classes in order to be eligible for summer work-study. 

You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits to be eligible for Federal Direct student loans.

University Trust Fund Loans require a minimum 12 credits of enrollment each semester.