Home > Academics > Apostille and notarization

Apostille and notarization

Obtaining an Apostille is a way to certify school records (i.e. your degree, transcript, or coursework) so that a foreign entity recognizes your studies at the University of Minnesota. Either notarization or an Apostille may be necessary in order for you to study or work abroad. If you are studying abroad as part of your degree program, neither a notarization nor Apostille may be necessary. Check with your department.

The Office of the Registrar (OTR) on the Twin Cities campus facilitates notarizations and Apostilles, or you may choose to obtain certification of your student records independently.

An Apostille is a form of certification recognized abroad. For U of M students, an apostille is obtained from the Minnesota Secretary of State. There are two ways to obtain an Apostille:

  • You can request it yourself directly to the Secretary of State.
  • OTR can facilitate the process on your behalf (see instructions below). OTR’s Apostille service includes:
    • Obtaining official copies of the required records with signatures
    • Having the signatures notarized
    • Obtaining the Apostille from the Minnesota Secretary of State

Review Minnesota Secretary of State website for complete information on obtaining an Apostille. This is especially important if you plan to get the Apostille yourself.

Process documents at the same time

We recommend that you process all the required documents at the same time and that you confirm all requirements and fees ahead of time. The country or foreign entity may require your transcript, diploma, coursework, and possibly the course descriptions on your transcript. Find out exactly what they need ahead of time in order to avoid any delays or errors in your supplied documents.

Duplicate diploma processing time

When you request a duplicate diploma from the University, there is a two-week processing time. This is regardless of notarization, request for Apostille, or priority shipping method.

Translating your records

Some countries may require all the required records to be translated into a different language. To find out if this is necessary, contact the embassy of the country for which you are obtaining the Apostille. Depending on the country, the translation may need to be done by someone recognized by the host government as an official translator. If any educational documentation required is from a state other than Minnesota, the authentication process for those records should be done in that state.

If you plan to obtain an Apostille yourself but need to get your records notarized, request notarization when you request your records.

  1. Submit a Request for Official Transcript (pdf form).
    Note: for notarization, you MUST order the transcript via the PDF form. You cannot request notarization through Parchment.
  2. Mark that you want notarization in the Special Instructions on page 2.
  3. Follow the instructions on the form to submit.

The Office of the Registrar (OTR) on the Twin Cities campus can facilitate the Apostille process for you, provided you pay for shipping and the processing of your student records. The service includes:

  • Processing your records
  • Notarization of your records
  • Requesting and obtaining the Apostille from the Minnesota Secretary of State
  • Shipping your certified records to their final destination

Costs and fees

Fees for official transcripts and duplicate diplomas are changing on August 26. Most students and alumni will no longer pay a fee per document. If you’re able to wait until then, you will be able to save money. This change is due to a new funding structure for academic records.

Fees for records and shipping prices are as follows:

  • $15.00 - per official transcript (paid to the University)
  • $15.00 - per duplicate diploma (paid to the University)
  • $30.00 - Domestic final destination shipping (paid to the University)
  • $40.00 - International final destination shipping (paid to the University)
  • $5/document - Apostille fee per document (must be a check payable to MN Secretary of State)

If you will be obtaining an Apostille yourself, there are still costs involved. You must pay for your student records, notarization, and the cost of the Apostille from the Secretary of State.

What to submit

  • Two forms: Apostille Request AND State of Minnesota Secretary of State Authentication Request
    • Note: You can request your student records on the Apostille Request form ONLY if you are using OTR’s Apostille service.
  • Request for verification letter if applicable
    • If you require information not included on the transcript or diploma, you must submit a written document stating specifically what needs to be included on the verification letter.
  • Payment
    • Apostille: Check or money order made out to the Minnesota Secretary of State, $5 per document to be certified
    • Student records and shipping: Payment to the University of Minnesota by credit card, check, money order, or cash in a lump sum
  • Any other documents required by the foreign entity
    • In some cases the foreign business or institution may require additional documents that are not supplied by the University or OTR. Know what these are before you submit a request for Apostille and include them when you send your request to OTR.


For questions regarding your student records, notarization, and Apostille process, contact OTR at otr@umn.edu.

Important Dates


Fri, Aug 23, 2019 Second 7-week and full summer session last day of classes
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 Fall semester 2019 begins
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 First half semester and full semester begin